Tonight marks the last few hours of my ten day vacation. I had not taken a vacation of this length since Bryce was born almost 2 years ago. And maternity leaves don’t count because it’s not restful and you don’t accomplish anything other than survival. I think I was due.
I had a huge list of things to do on this vacation: family time, fun outings for the kids, cooking, sewing, errands. And then we decided to build our patio, too. It was time, really – we bought the pavers several years ago. So I piled it up on top of the rest and set to it.
For not resting very much, it was a beautiful vacation. These are my top 12 moments:
12. Blowing stuff up.
11. Power cooking – I was so happy to find the time and ambition to make a bunch of stuff from scratch: applesauce, blueberry muffins, puppy chow, pizza crust to freeze, no-knead bread, garlic cheese beer bread, chicken, brown rice, great northern beans, and chicken stock.
10. My first good suntan in years!
9. Curtains! This is interesting because we’ve been without curtains for many, many months, and when I finally decided what I wanted to do, it only cost $40 and about 30 minutes of my time.
8. Cool garage sale finds.
7. Being silly with the bears.
6. Thinking about Christmas, making Christmas lists, poring over Pinterest, thinking about starting on hand made gifts! This process makes me so happy!
5. A beautiful day at the fair.
4. First harvest
3. Curious little girls.
2. Finishing the patio!!!!
1. Falling into bed every night completely and totally exhausted, with the full knowledge that I had milked the day for all it was worth.
I’m not sure if I’m ready to go back to work or not. I still have a couple things left to do on my list. It’s only 10:15 PM, so there’s time. But I think I’ll go collapse into bed instead.
If I learned nothing else, I realized that week-long vacations are an absolute must at least once a year going forward. Maybe next year we’ll go somewhere, or maybe we’ll catch up on all the projects that get pushed aside while we’re too busy raising kids again. Either way, I’m already looking forward to it!